Fripp Island New Owner
This Article was written By Page Miller
Fripp Island New Owner
In 1903 Eula Priioleau , the widow of William “Good Billy” Fripp and Sarah Harriet Reynolds’s, grandson, sold Fripp island for $2000 to James G. McLounghlin of New York for hunting preserve. A wealthy New York publisher, James was a part owner in McLounghlin brothers, a family publishing firm that specialized in children’s and religious books. McLounghlin live home 13 E. 65th St., a fashionable area in close proximity to Rockefellers home.
One can only speculate how James MacLounghlin happened to buy Fripp. During in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, there was considerable interest among wealthy Northerners in acquiring hunting preserves in the South. National prosperity and the expanding railroads had made it possible for the Rockefellers, Carnegie’s, Macy, Pulitzers and Morgan families to build extravagant houses on secluded barrier islands near their scenic hunting grounds. One of the most noted private preserves was the Jekyll Island club established in 1888 office coast of Georgia.
Only a few months after purchasing Fripp Island, MacLounghlin made a hunting expedition to these newly acquired preserve. In early December 1903, his handsome stream yacht, the Trionyx, arrive at Beaufort’s dock having sailed from New York. The Beaufort Gazette reported that the large yacht at only its crew aboard and that her owner is expected here in the near future with a party to enjoy hunting on his preserves, which are located on Fripp is story islands. MacLouhghlin’s hunting party included friends from New York and his two sons, as well as local guide, John Wallace, who was one of Beaufort’s most experienced sportsmen. Accompanying the party was a pack of local hunting dogs. During the stay Beaufort, theMcLoughlin party sails to Fripp aboard the Trionyx several times. They return from the first trip with eight dear, and on the next expedition shot seven more. According to the Gazette, Maclounghlin was quite a favorite with all who met him.
Following MacLounhlin’s death in 1918, his widow, Cornelia Cole MacLoughlin, inherited Fripp Island and owned it unto her death in 1932. Thus Fripp island continued, as it had during much of the post-Civil War period, to have an owner who did not live nearby and who visit infrequently, if ever. And absentee landlord allowed local folks who had the time and the seaworthy boat to treat Fripp Island as a beach and Woodland preserve for their occasional recreational use.